Thursday, June 12, 2008

Need some help...

...in trying to figure out if this is worth it. My car, 06 Impala, is a flex fuel car which means I can use either regular gas or E85. I noticed that E85 is 50 cents cheaper than regular gas. I'm trying to think green in both ways of keeping money in my wallet, and using what is best for the environment, which I'm hearing E85 is. I looked it up because some people were against it because the fuel efficiency is less. When I looked it up it said it is 20-30% less efficient than regular gasoline. So what I'm looking at here is saving 50 cents on each gallon, but 20-30% less miles per gallon.

Is the money I'm saving worth it?

Discuss.

Oh-Eh,
Kal El

5 comments:

Matt said...

If you're saving 50 cents off $4 that's 12.5% less. If the car really does run at 20-30% lower efficiency you won't be saving money.

And if you don't use ethanol from corn then the price of popcorn won't go up to $7 by the end of the year. Corn futures have been jumping every day for the last few weeks due to increased use in fuel and dwindling US reserves.

But I don't need to tell you all the reasons gas is bad. Maybe you should buy a bike.

Kal El said...

I have a bike and I do use it over my car whenever I can but sometimes I need to go places too far for a bike.

Charles D. Leibrand said...

Everything Matt said is true, first best green thing you can do is rethink where you go and how you get there.

A second point is that I'm not sure the lack of efficency is to the end user for E85, it has more to do with distribution. I think the reason is E85 is much more prone to evaporation and for some reason can't be sent through pipe lines and has to trucked by tanker useing up a lot more fuel to distribute it. Don't hold me to that though, but I would look deeper at where the efficency loss is comming from. In the end I don't think it matters to much as gas, deisel and e85 are largly controled by the same poeple.

So I would go with the E85 leaving more cash to put into other sectors of the econnomy, unless you a savings nut.

cdl

Charles D. Leibrand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well, I have learned in my physics class that efficiency is what you get out of it divided by what you put into it.


However, keep this in mind when gas is outrageous and corn urine is cheaper.