Sunday, May 24, 2009

Decision time, and I'd like your help.

Do I stay or do I go?

I've been presented with a pretty tough decision to make.

As some of you may know, I have two sisters, who each have two children. None of which are older than 6 years old. They currently live in Florida, but within the month are moving to South Carolina. Both have been left by the supposed "men" (I call them pussies, cowards, deadbeats, douche bags, ass clowns, etc.) in their lives. My oldest sister, Shannon, has already began dating someone who is already familiar with her two boys, and her two boys adore him like he is their father. But my other sister, Erin, has a 3 year old daughter and a 1.5 year old son, and her being left was just recently. They keep telling me how easy it would be for me to get a job once I move down there, I can live with Erin in her house which has 3 bedrooms, so obviously I'll get my own room. They haven't used this argument to persuade me to come down yet, but I can just tell that Erin would like a helping hand with the two children she has, and, well, they miss me of course, who the hell wouldn't?

So I'm left with this decision and I would like the opinions of my fellow Artichokians.

Should I stay here, in Michigan, where all of my friends are, but in a shitty job market. Or move down to South Carolina(Charleston to be exact) where my nephews and niece are, I will have a job, but no friends and be forced to make new ones which I'm not really good at.

What do you guys think?

OO-EH,
Kal El

5 comments:

Thomas Clark said...

From someone who has a hard time making friends as well, it'd be easy to say not to go because of the friendships that you'd be leaving here.

But when it comes down to it, a job is more important. What's the sense of living here with a shitty job (or even no job) when you can be happy down there?

As awkward as this may sound from me, you'll make friends because Yyu're an interesting person. You're genuinely fun to be around with and as hard as it may be leave your comfort zone, this is the time in your life to do it. When you're thirty-five and maybe have a family or whatever your situation may be, you'll never have this freedom again.

Personally, I don't want to see you go...but it may be the best situation for you.

IF you go, we'll need to have a sweet going away party. Beer, Halo, and Za.

Matt said...

As a thirty-six year old with a family I'd say you make yourself as free as you want.

But on the subject at hand, I think the job part is the least important. You should be making the decision between friends and family - leave the job out of it.

Kit Bennett said...

Selfishly I would like you to stay, but I think your sister may need you more and family is very important. You would also get to be close to younger family and be apart of their development, that is something quite special, something that we as your friends cannot provide, despite behaving like 3 years olds half the time! :)

ESmith Photo said...

Coming from my fairly recent experience with this situation, I really believe the only person who can make this choice is you.

When I moved out here I got really lucky the place is filled with people my age that have the same interests and I have adapted well.

Was moving 1400 miles from home the scariest thing I had ever done? Yes. I still have days I wake up and wonder what I am doing here.

We all get very comfortable and complient in our lives when you step outside of your comfort zone you'll be surprised what you can do, and how many people you can meet along the way.

Lisa said...

Okay, i know that we don't know each other that well. But as a person who got involved in a relationship relatively young and had my first child by 24, I'd say go.

Have fun along the way. Make some new friends. Have new experiences. Find a kick ass job. Spend some time with your sisters and neices and nephews.

There's facebook, twitter, blogging, phones, to keep in touch with people up here. But if you don't go and end up being 'stuck' up here you may wonder what it had been like had you tried something new.