Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Letter to the Citizens of Metropolis.

Even though I believe I'm the only one here that watches Smallville(since Steve deep down really doens't like Superman, lol) in the season 8 finale he was forced to fight Doomsday. In this season he has embraced himself as the protector of Metropolis, but in case he died at the hands of the only being that has ever killed him, he wrote this goodbye letter to the citizens of Metropolis. They didn't show what the letter said on the show, but here it is. I read it, and really liked it so I'm putting it up here.

"You have welcomed me into your city and allowed me to make it my home. I will always be grateful for that. Which is why I cannot leave without saying goodbye. This newspaper has made me into what you think I am - an example, a symbol, a "hero." But the truth is, I'm simply one of you. The only difference is that my days in the shadows and my nights in the streets have allowed me to see what you've lost sight of - the good in each of you.

I've seen regular people do extraordinary things. I've seen you help each other up after you've been knocked down. I've seen you stand together when times are tough. And I've seen the smallest act make the biggest change. If I've done anything right, I hope it's help you realize one person can make a difference in the lives of others - that Metropolis doesn't need a hero. Have faith in yourself, and you will find hope in each other.

Remember, it's not the mask that makes the hero. It's the choices we make and the desire to do what's right. I've seen that desire in all of you. It inspired me to promise I would do everything in my power to protect this city - but I can't promise that I'll be around forever. One day, there may be a fight I cannot win.

But if that day comes, please, keep fighting without me to make the world a better place. Be the heroes I know you are."

OO-EH,
Kal El

4 comments:

Matt said...

I stopped reading at this point: "but in case he died at the hands of the only being that has ever killed him"

Only in Superman could this sentence make a lick of sense.

Kal El said...

Why does it not make sense? He is the only character that was created that has ever killed Superman.

Matt said...

Okay, how does Superman know this is the only creature to have ever killed him? Surely that was in the future at best, in another dimension more likely. So preparing to combat the only creature to have ever killed him makes no sense. He should have no angst over it because he thinks he's undefeatable.

Kal El said...

Ok, well, that is all easily explained, which I will in a second. But, I just want to make it clear that the only reason for this post was the contents of the letter, not how ridiculous you think Superman is, lol.

And you actually got it right, kind of. He does find out from a group of heroes in DC Comics called "The Legion" with the ability to travel through time. Before Doomsday is first introduced earlier in the season, The Legion comes back from the future to help Clark defeat BranIAC, and in that episode, Clark finds out from his father, Jor-El, in the Fortress of Solitude(if you've seen the movies you'll know that although dead, Jor-El's spirit and knowledge remains in the Fortress to help Clark become the man he is meant to be on Earth) that Doomsday was created solely to kill the last remaining Kryptonian, which Clark knows is him.

In case you don't know anything about Doomsday, he is considered the ultimate killer, with no sense of remorse for anyone, and completely adapts to his surroundings no matter where he is, and after you kill him, he soon comes back to life, this time completely immune to what killed him before. After Clark and Chloe trap him in a case and spray him with liquid kryptonite until he "dies". They then think he is dead, but of course, he comes back to life and is now immune to kryptonite, the only thing, obviously, that has been known to kill Superman(besides Doomsday of course). The only real way to get rid of him is imprisonment somewhere he can't get out of, likely the Phantom Zone.

In the final episode, one of the Legion members comes back to warn Clark, who is weary of killing Doomsday because there is still a human side to him and he ultimately refuses to cause harm to anyone that he feels has some good in them. He tells Clark a bit about the future saying "If you do not fight, tomorrow is the day you will die."

And having fought Doomsday for a brief moment in the first episode with him in it, Clark realized then that he matched his speed and strength, being made from Kryptonians.

So, knowing he can be killed by Doomsday, he writes this letter to the citizens to warn them of what could happen, because in this past season he has become a mysterious protecter of the city and has been embraced by the people.

And with your comment about having no angst of thinking he is undefeatable, he even says over the phone to Lois Lane in the episode, she says "I thought you were invincible" and he says "So did I."

Hopefully that answers your questions. And keep in mind, I didn't write any of this in an attempt to turn you into a fan, because I know that is impossible, I'm just answering your questions.

And keep in mind, this is on Smallville only. All the characters and stuff are the same, but the story is told in a different way from the history in comics.